Design and Technology
Our Design and Technology curriculum at Nafferton aims to develop pupils’ design and technology skills to foster creativity and imagination when designing, making and evaluating a range of differing products. Pupils will become inspired to develop creative products that add value and impact to the world. They will master practical skills across a range of design methods, in addition to having a solid understanding of the design process and how to research and take inspiration from existing products.
By teaching a range of concepts through different contexts, children will be able to link their knowledge to have a better understanding of effective product design and creation.
What do we want our Naffertonian technicians to know, understand and be able to do before they leave Year 6?
- To be able to solve ‘real-life’ challenges, using their understanding and application of skills taught.
- To be able to plan projects carefully, analysing existing products, creating prototypes, carrying out market research, and creating detailed graphical designs.
- To create a quality product which they are then able to evaluate.
- To learn the principles of nutrition and healthy eating.
- To develop a love of cooking, sustainability and seasonality.
- To understand basic food hygiene, cutting and preparation skills and cooking skills to create and design a range of dishes that adhere to different dietary requirements and traditional cuisines.